Thursday, October 21, 2010

Organic Produce and A Pumpkin Pie

So today's post has nothing to do with scrapbooking, and that's ok.

I got my first shipment from Door to Door Organics. A lady I work with was telling me about it, and I thought is sounded like a good idea.

If all my shipments are going to be as awesome as this one I think it's a very good idea.

This is what came in my produce box. I got the smallest option of mixed fruits and veggies. They send you a list of what they're going to send, and you have the option to swap items for others. We got,

3 pears
1 pie pumpkin (oh more on that guy in a sec!)
4 roma tomatoes
1 cauliflower
4 fuji apples
3 oranges
2 bananas
3 pomegranate and
1 thing of romaine lettuce.

All for $27 and they delivered it to my house! I'm already in love with it. My only problem is the bananas are yellow, and if you know me, you know that I don't eat yellow ones, only green ones. But that's a personal problem...and they look fine otherwise.

So the pie pumpkin was our controversial item. As soon as Jonathan saw the list he inquired about the possibility of pie in his future. I figured why not, I've never made a pumpkin pie from a real pumpkin, and as I was asking around to find out more about it, neither had a lot of people. So I photo documented the process I used. (hooray for the internet)


This very cute pumpkin met it's end by this very sharp knife.

You pull off the stem and cut it in half.

If you think pumpkins are gross (I'm totally on that wagon) then you get your husband to do the gross part. I love pumpkin pie, but hate actual pumpkins. They stink and they're slimy...I wonder how anyone figured out you can make pie from it.

When he's done, you take the credit and you have 2 empty pumpkin halves.

Since we didn't have a ton of time in case this whole pie making thing backfired we used the cheater method. You oil the cut side with vegetable oil, cut it up enough so it will fit into a bowl, add 1 cup of water, cover it....

And microwave the crap out of it. It only took about 15 minutes. If we were to bake it in the oven we're talking about 60-90 minutes..and I just don't have that kind of time. The weird thing is, that your kitchen will start to smell like fried chicken..I don't know why.


And again, since those pumpkin pieces are smoking hot, still slimy and stinky, you call in the reinforcements.

After you get back from the chiropractor appointment (right in the middle of the day, that is totally interfering with pie making) then the pumpkin will be cool enough to handle. I used a spoon and a blender. It was oily and stinky, and I was thinking the whole time that there is no way this is ever going to taste good.

You puree it, and if I had a better blender it would have happened a lot faster. But oh well. At this point you use your favorite pie recipe. And take a little help from the dough boy for the crust (unless you're that much of an over achiever)

Here is is. I forgot to use my crust cover..so the backside is a little brown, but that's ok. Some people like it that way.

It was tasty! I can't decide if it's better than from a can or not. It's way more work that's for sure. When I make a pie I use canned pumpkin, not canned pumpkin already ready to go. So it's pretty close, but now I can say I've done it..and it was worth it. I'm not sure if it will be a repeat performance or not.

I'm working all weekend long, so I hope everyone has a good one.

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment