Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Two Sauce Lasagna Bowls

I hardly ever make Rachael Ray's food, but I did this weekend...and it was really good.
The reason I never make her food is because there are no pictures. So unless I see it on her show I'm not doing it. So I took a picture of what I made, because I recommend you make this..tasty.

Here's the recipe from foodnetwork.com

Ingredients


  • 1 pound Campanelle pasta (I used rotini pasta)
  • Salt
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 pound pancetta, a couple of thick slices, chopped
  • 3/4 pound ground beef pork and veal mix or ground beef (I used all ground beef..a whole pound)
  • 1/2 large carrot, peeled and grated or finely chopped
  • 1 small to medium onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, 2 chopped or grated, 1 peeled
  • 1/2 teaspoon allspice, a couple of pinches (I don't have this, so I made it up..garlic salt, dry basil and oregano.)
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 bay leaf (didn't use this)
  • 3 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup dry red wine (there seems to be a theme...I used more beef stock instead of wine..I don't like wine)
  • 2 cups beef stock
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • Nutmeg, to taste
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano, plus some to pass at table (I'm pretty sure I used way more that 1/2 cup..oh man it was good.)
  • A handful fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped

Directions

Heat large pot of water to a boil, salt water and cook pasta to al dente.

While pasta water comes to a boil, heat olive oil in a medium sauce pot over medium-high heat, add pancetta and render 2 to 3 minutes then add meat and break up as it browns. When the meat has begun to caramelize and develops a nice brown color, 4 to 5 minutes, add carrot, onion, 2 cloves of garlic, allspice, salt and pepper and a bay leaf. Cook 3 to 4 minutes more to soften onions and carrots bits then stir in tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes, then stir in wine and cook out 1 minute then stir in stock and reduce heat to simmer.

While red sauce cooks, cut remaining whole clove of garlic and rub the inside of a medium sauce pot with it. Melt butter in pot over medium heat. Add in flour and whisk together a minute or so then whisk in milk and bring to a bubble, reduce heat then season sauce with salt, pepper and nutmeg, thicken 8 to 10 minutes. (I let mine cook too long..and I would have liked it better if it cooked less time...the meat sauce takes a long time to reduce, so definitely wait until it's been simmering a few before starting the white sauce...since I'm not like Rachael Ray and don't have a team to wash my dishes I used the pot I cooked the pasta in to make the white sauce. And this way I can dump the pasta back into the sauce)

Toss pasta with white sauce and 1/2 cup grated cheese. Serve pasta in individual bowls and top with a ladle of meat sauce in the middle of the bowl for mixing in. Garnish with parsley. (I used cheese instead of parsley..I think cheese is better ;-) )


Anyway, we didn't really do much this weekend since Jonathan has been sick...just cooking.

I'll have some more cards sometime this week. And next week I'm going to try to participate in the TGF CHA Relay..oh yes. I'm excited about it.

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment